- Veterinary Notes for Cat Owners or Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook -- These books are well written so the layperson can understand a variety of diseases and conditions in cats. The photos are particularly helpful at times.
- Raising Cats Naturally: How to care for your cat the way nature intended -- This is the 'bible' for feeding raw. Not only does it give 2 options for preparing the food (with and without a grinder), but it explains the rational behind the diet's ingredients with references.
- The new natural cat : a complete guide for finicky owners -- Excellent book on general cat care, using a variety of alternative treatments.
- Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats -- This was the book that started my interest in both alternative veterinary medicine for cats and in raw food. While his recipes rely too much on grain in my opinion, his sections on vaccines and then the catalog of diseases and treatments are very good.
- Cat Wrangling Made Easy: Maintaining Peace and Sanity in Your Multicat Home -- Excellent book by someone who has lived in a multicat home on how to manage things. Some of the tips and suggestions are brilliant!
- Cat Vs. Cat: Keeping Peace When You Have More Than One Cat -- Another book on cat behavior and interaction by a top behaviorist. Her method of introducing new cats has become the standard method and actually does work!
- Getting in TTouch with your Cat -- This book explains a wonderful massage-type treatment for cats. It is simple to learn and helps many cats to relax.
- Cats Naturally: Natural Rearing For Healthier Domestic Cats -- While this is an older book, it is well worth buying it as it is the best guide out there for using herbs with cats.
- The Nature of Animal Healing : The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide to Caring for Your Dog and Cat -- A newer and very useful book on holistic medicine for dogs and cats. Some of the suggestions, such as the Chinese medicine ones, are rarely seen in even other holistic vet books.
- Starting from scratch : how to correct behavior problems in your adult cat -- Another behavior book, but this one is specifically on how to correct already established bad behaviors. I like this one since using drugs is the absolute last resort.
17 January 2016
10 Cat Books the Average Owner Should Own
Here is a list I compiled awhile ago of 10 books that are both readable for the average cat owner and very useful. (Links are to the book page on LibraryThing.com)