01 January 2011

New Year, New Me

Welcome to 2011!!! 

I have a few modest hopes and some resolutions for this year, so that when I look back on it, I won't feel like I've wasted a year.  2010 was not a good year.  I lost 3 cats, am still unemployed as a teacher, and didn't do any art or math.  It's so depressing to look back on, that I'm more than eager to move forward.  My motto for this year is "Be a doer, not a talker."  So here are my resolutions for 2011:
  • Work through Weil's 8 Weeks to Optimum Health This is a very simple and comprehensive plan to get in shape, eat better food, and take care of myself.  It covers mind, body, and spirit.  I've worked on it before, several times, and have made it to week 4 and then quit.  I can't remember why I quit every time, but I did.  It probably had to do with the exercise or meditation parts.  Anyway, for week 1, the big things are to walk for 10 minutes a day, eat salmon and broccoli twice, and do some simple breathing exercises.  It really shouldn't be too hard to do, except..yep, coming up with excuses already!...it's cold outside for the walks and hubby isn't helpful on the eating healthy part (cake with ice cream is a balanced meal is his book!).  I have the salmon, bought some broccoli, and will go for a walk when I'm done here.  I really need to make this a priority as I'm getting older, I'm getting fatter, and I'm getting more depressed over everything.  If I don't start doing some exercise now, in a few years I'll probably need knee replacements and I don't have health insurance because I don't have a full-time job. 
  • Pay more attention to my cats.  I am guilty of spending all my time on those cats who are sick or have problems and then ignoring the healthy ones.  I also tend to cut corners and, say, not clean litter boxes as I should, which is now leading to some problems.
  • Spend 30 minutes a day cleaning.  I know this doesn't sound like much, but (a) I don't have a lot of extra time between subbing, art, and cats, and (b) I also know that if I'm consistent it will help clean up this house.  Hubby is not good at cleaning or putting things away, so I need to train him better!  I also think having a nice environment will improve my attitude.
  • Spend 1 hour a day doing art.  This is one that scares me. When I'm subbing, I come home tired and cranky, and the most I feel like doing is reading.  I'm really going to have to push myself sometimes, especially at the beginning now, to do this.  But if I don't do the art, I can't sell the art.
I'm hoping after a couple of months, I will have improved my attitude and life will seem better.  Towards the end of 2010, I literally was living for my cats.  That's not healthy, but when one hates her job, her house (because of clutter), and herself, living for one's cats is better than the alternative.

Now, off to take my walk.  I suppose hubby will want me to take a d-o-g.  Groan...

No comments: